The 2022 BOFA Launceston Film Festival is an event focused on showcasing our great regional city with extraordinary films, and visual and performing arts.
We’re also celebrating the recent recognition of the Launceston region as a UNESCO Creative City of Gastronomy, and hosting a series of food events matched with delicious films in some of the region’s finest food and wine establishments.
This year’s festival is deeply embedded and widely dispersed across the city, embracing unique venues that emphasise the unique style and history of Launceston. From vintage cinemas, craft breweries, arts precincts, heritage houses and even a pop-up cinema in a food market, as well as vineyards, iconic buildings, and even a men’s wear store.
Explore some of this year’s highlights below:
- 50th Anniversary of CABARET with a red-carpet opening party – so get ready to party with Lisa Minelli at Cabaret in your finest Roaring 20’s outfit.
- The Kitchen Brigade screening and red-carpet party – with food from around the world – and drinks from around Tasmania – prepared by our very own ethnic food brigade.
- The First Nation Stories Short Film Awards – Enjoy a night of celebration and see the winning filmmakers receive their prizes.
- A ½-day conference to encourage experts and people with passion to think about how the UNESCO Creative City of Gastronomy title can be leveraged to the Launceston region’s advantage.
- Musicians, artists and performers, will extend Launceston’s award-winning Harvest Farmers Market through the morning and into the afternoon (Saturday 30 April & 7 May). Enjoy free musical performances as well as creative activities for children, and as night falls, enjoy the family-friendly pop-up cinema.
- Four food and wine events at celebrated restaurants, vineyards and function centres including:
- Peppers Silos Grain Restaurant long lunch
- Josef Chromy Vineyard matched food and wines dinner
- Museum Aged Wine Tasting dinner and quiz at Tail Race
- Earthy Eats Mother’s Day Long Table lunch
BOFA Film festival can be enjoyed in so many different ways, from in-person films in unique cinemas around Launceston to online streaming in the comfort of your own home https://breath-of-fresh-air.co...
A quick catch-up with the BOFA team…
1. In a nutshell, what is BOFA 2022 about?
BOFA has always been about using film to inspire positive change. In these troubled days with the pandemic and war in Europe there has never been a greater need for inspiration and positivity. But change also brings opportunity. So, BOFA was the first film festival in Australia to go online in 2020. And in 2022 our exciting new festival format is a blend of online (15 April – 31 May) and place-based film viewing (Friday 29 April to Sunday 8 May) with films, events and fun that will inspire and motivate!
• Online: We’ve chosen the best of the world’s films for you to enjoy from the comfort of your living room, with friends, family or solo, when you like, any time of day or night for six weeks (15 April – 31 May). Book online at breath-offresh-air.com.au
• In Launceston: Enjoy mingling safely and having fun at the Launceston festival (29 April – 8 May), where we are celebrating Launceston’s title as the newest UNESCO City of Gastronomy (that’s food and wine to you) and as Wotif’s 2022 Best Town to Visit in Australia with:
* Films on food and wine at the award-winning Harvest Farmers Market, a craft beer venue and in world class restaurants
* Films on other themes in unexpected venues like stunning mansions, arts precincts and the historic Star and Majestic Theatres
* Major lunches/dinners and red-carpet parties
* A half day conference on the opportunities flowing from the UNESCO award
* Museum wine tasting of seriously aged wine plus wine tasting across Tamar Valley
* FREE performances by the unique Tasmanian Leather Orchestra, musicians and artists
* Plus Tamar River Cruises with a complimentary glass of wine
2. What is 'the BOFA Effect'?
BOFA has a proud history since 2010 as an innovator in the festival space. The BOFA Effect builds on that with films and events celebrating positive change, diversity, creativity, storytelling, community, food & wine, art and togetherness, while showcasing the authentic vibrancy of Launceston. It is about how experiencing an unusual movie or uplifting event can have a ripple effect that reverberates far and wide through conversations, through changed perspectives and by taking action. Creatively the BOFA Effect campaign takes BOFA to the 'next level' with an exciting new identity and reimagined online streaming platform and emotive communications. The BOFA Effect stakes BOFA 2022’s claim as a proudly Launceston-based event and one of Tasmania’s premier festivals.
3. Who should come to BOFA?
1. Film lovers, who want the best films that don’t make it to the multiplex and who want the chance to revisit some of the great classics of cinema
2. Film lovers, who want the choice of watching films when and where they want at home OR in different and uniquely Launceston venues
3. Fun lovers, who just want to get out from under the Covid gloom and safely go to film, food and fun events around the town over not one weekend but over 10 full days!
4. Where can people catch BOFA and how much are the tickets?
Visit the website www.breath-of-fresh-air.com.au. Film tix from $10. Events from $55!
5. An insider tip?
Come to the Opening Night Cabaret Party with dancers, singers, food and wine then enjoy the 50th anniversary screening of Lisa Minelli’s ground-breaking film.